On Jul 13, 2009, at 8:59 PM, Jim McDonald wrote:

> Following instructions in Dabo Wiki (including the bits about
> installing
> python2.5-dev and putting a dabo.pth file in the 'site-packages'
> directory), 'setup.py install' errors out with a traceback that ends
> as
> follows:
>
>   "  File  ' .  .  .  dabo/lib/eventMixin.py' line 6 in <module>
>         from dabo.dLocalize import _
> ImportError: cannot import name _ "
>
> eventMixin.py and dLocalize.py are the same in my Windows install--
> which
> setup effortlessly--as in the Linux install.
>
> Any thoughts?

        My guess is that you are doing parts of two completely different ways
of installing the dabo module. One is to create the .pth file to a
locally checked-out copy of the code, and the other is to grab the
installation download and run setup.py to create an egg.

        That's the problem when there is more than one way to do something:
if you do it both ways, it doesn't work!

        I would remove all the dabo stuff from site-packages to start with a
clean slate. If you have an 'easy_install.pth' file in site-packages,
I would open it in a text editor to make sure that it does not have
any pathing info for a dabo egg.

        Then I would pick one way of using Dabo: a locally checked-out copy
of the repository, or an egg from the released code. The general rule
of thumb is that if you plan on working within the framework itself,
you should have a copy of the repository, and link to that with the
dabo.pth file. If you don't plan on mucking around inside the
framework code, and instead want to use Dabo to create applications,
download the release and install the egg using setup.py.

        Hope that helps!

-- Ed Leafe