On Aug 27, 2009, at 6:06 PM, jpoorra...@aol.com wrote:

> Question: how do the forms, (which exist in the ui directory as
> FrmRuns.py
> and FrmTubes.py), get into the app.ui?  I've tried to trace through
> the
> program to see where these forms might be picked up and made part of
> the
> "app.ui", but so far I'm stumped.

        During application startup, the app looks for the standard directory
structure (the one created with dabo.quickStart()), and is then able
to import from those directories. If you want to see just where this
happens, check out dApp._initModuleNames().

> And furthermore, how would we substitute our own forms created in
> the CD,
> since these are not python code but rather cdxml? Can we use the
> dabo.ui.createForm function somehow?

        Exactly. If the form was in the ui directory, you would use:

myForm = dabo.ui.createForm("ui/MyCool.cdxml")

> And as a more general question, what's the best route for us to pursue
> knitting things together -- we're definitely looking for "MDI" style
> application, with a main form with some kind of splash screen, and
> forms that  are
> called from the menu. More or less in the fashion of the app wizard.
> So the
> app wizard might be one model. I also see that quickstart creates a
> simple
> structure for an application. Should we build on that, rather than the
> appwizard?

        The quickStart() structure is the best way to go for general
development. The app wizard is great for quick table maintenance apps,
but if you want to do anything more complex with them, you pretty much
have to code everything yourself. None of the UI tools work with the
app wizard code.

-- Ed Leafe