On Friday 28 August 2009 10:28:27 am Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Greetings:  I am putting together a procedure to read MSSql data and
> write to a PostGreSQL table.  The PostGreSQL table will be massaged and
> reformatted to their final tables.  The process will be done daily or
> weekly and involve no more that 2000 records - usually quite a bit less.
>
> Two questions,
>
> Would you recommend Dabo business objects for this or use an import /
> export procedure for just this purpose?
>
> Would you recommend PostGreSQL temporary tables for the intermediate
> data or Sqlite or a Dabo cursor?
>
> I am replacing a VFP process where I turn the MSSql result cursor into a
> free table and then massage it and import it into VFP tables.
>
> TIA,

I have done this several times.  That is converting data from MsSQL to
Postgres.  I found that using Dabo (for the UI) along with Dabo's biz objects
works perfectly.  I have two connections one that accesses the MsSQL data and
the other Postgres.  I just gather the data from the MsSQL tables as
required.  Then insert into Postgres as required.  I was able to transfer
several GBytes without any issues.  Fast too.  I even created the tables
dynamicly.

I see no need for a Postgres temp cursor.  Just insert.

Note that reserved words in postgres may trip you up (like name, state).  They
did for me.

If you have other questions let me know.

Johnf