+1
I am in favour of changing the default to True.

________________________________
From: Ed Leafe <e...@leafe.com>
To: Vineet Deodhar <d_vin...@yahoo.com>; Dabo Users list <dabo-users@leafe.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 12 October 2011, 20:11
Subject: Re: [dabo-users] Annexure to my earlier post

On Oct 11, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Vineet Deodhar wrote:

> Excuse me, I missed one more point to ask in earlier post.
>
> In appendDataSet() method, updateInternals=False by default.
> For better understanding of dabo system, can I know why it is not not set to
> True by default.
> What is the basic purpose of this property?

    Dabo keeps track of the status of a record through the use of various
internal flags. When you add/edit/delete records through the framework, those
flags are updated. When you add records by appendDataSet(), though, those flags
were not touched; the data was simply added to the cursor's records. Jacek
added the option of having these flags updated, but left the defaults to False
so as not to change the existing behavior of the methods.

    However, having looked over this, I think that we have two use cases: when
working with a cursor object directly, or when working with bizobjs. In the
former case, I think that the current behavior is correct: if you are working
at that level, you should control things directly. However, when working with
bizobjs, I think that the default should be to update the internals, since you
are expecting bizobj-like behavior, which insulates the developer from the data
layer underpinnings.

    Any objection to changing the default for updateInternals in the bizobj
method signature to True?

-- Ed Leafe

multipart/alternative
  text/html