Hi Everyone,

Let me explain why I haven't created a branch for Dabo2 (btw that is not completely true).

Werner and I (also Neil Flowers) started working toward creating a version of Dabo that would work with python 3 and wxPython Phoenix. I'll guess and say that was way over a year ago. There are at least three branches on github covering that work. I can't recall their names at the moment but they are there. But as we all know Phoenix development just stopped. Phoenix was never completed. Good News - I believe as of yesterday development will restart with Andrea (the author of the many AGW features/controls in wxPython 3.x) as the captain. Let's hope. So as a result Dabo 3 development(that's what I call it) just stopped too. All that work is available on GitHub.

About 16 months ago wxPython 3.x became stable but still used python 2. Soon after Neil Flowers and I started work on supporting wxPython 3.x. We started with the work that was done to support Phoenix. Neil submitted the work (it's on github) and is available to anyone. Of course I had my copy of the work and I started using it for my daily client work. I found many issues at first but I fixed them to work for me. That my friends is why I did not commit the work. You see, I took short cuts - ones that I knew that would be not right for the general use of Dabo. In fact I'm sort of sure that a few things I coded will not work in the Mac world. I don't have a Mac so I can't really be sure. Also international concerns were just tossed out the window. My work is done in the USA and I didn't want to see a bug because of unicode. So unicode sort went bye bye.

So you are saying that I should commit anyway in my own branch. The bottom line is I did not want to commit and have some programmer think the junk I did was any sort of reflection of the good work of the Dabo team. I still feel that way. I also know that the work Neil and I did does work for most of Dabo. I think the report designer doesn't work on Linux and many other issues are there too. It also has a lot of the code supporting Phoenix (if Phoenix do this else do something ). But it's available and is just an OK starting point. In fact some of my Dabo 2 still has those issues. But I did not need the report designer working under Linux (I hand code the xml anyway for reports) and if I did need the report designer I have a windows VM available.

I have given my code to others - but I believe they understand what they are getting - and I'm willing to provide my code if you ask. But I truly believe you are better off using the code Neil and I developed. So I'm not going to create a new branch with my code.

Thanks,

Johnf