(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beitzah 025: SLAUGHTERING A DYING ANIMAL ON YOM TOV

Ariel Weinfas asked:

If there is enough time to eat it, does one actually need to eat the
kezayis, or is the time factor the only thing needed?

Thank you
Ariel Weinfas, Johannesburg, South Africa
The Kollel replies:

Dear Ariel,

Shalom and thanks for your question.

In general one may not prepare food on Yom Tov if he does not plan on
eating it (or in some cases, at least some of it) on Yom Tov. Our
case, however, is an exception to the rule. The Mishnah Berurah
498:34 explains that since in this case there technically is time to
eat a Kezayis of meat during Yom Tov, although he does not intend to
do so, we apply the rule of "Ho'il" (since). This means that since if
guests who had not yet eaten would show up, he could feed the meat to
them, therefore there is no Torah prohibition to slaughter the
animal, since potentially the slaughtering can be for the sake of
eating it on Yom Tov. Despite applying "Ho'il" it remains an Isur
mid-Rabanan, but they did not apply their prohibition in the case of
a monetary loss, as in our case. Thus in our case, all that's
required is ample time to eat the Kezayis, but no need to actually eat it.

Kol tuv.
Y. Landy