(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Zevachim 055: Shalmei Tzibur - Hekesh From Chatos

Shmuel Tannenbaum asked:

The gemoro asks if we have a hekesh to Oilo what are we going to do with the
hekesh to chatos, so the gemoro answers that we need it to teach us that the
bosor is eaten only by the male kohanim. My question is: why do we need
another limud for that, we have just learned from oilo that shalmei tzibur
have a din of kodesh kodoshim. Doesn't that in itself tell us that only male
cohanim can eat it? or would we need a ma matzinu for that, that we never
find kodshei kodoshim eaten by anybody other then zecharim?
Thanks in advance
Shmuel

The Kollel replies:

Rav Leib Mallen zt'l (volume 2, #78) asks this question. He proves from
this question that when the Gemara calls Shalmei Tzibur "Kodshei Kodashim,"
it means, as Rashi says (55a, DH Kodshei Kodashim) that Shalmei Tzibur are
not actually Kodshei Kodashim, but rather they have certain Dinim of
Kodshei Kodashim, such as becoming Nifsal b'Tevul Yom and b'Yotzei. We find
also that the Gemara needs a separate verse to teach their Shechitah is
done b'Tzafon.

D. Zupnik

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with this text in the body of the message:
unsubscribe daf-discuss