On Apr 2, 2015, at 2:15 PM, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 2015, Paul Wouters wrote:
>
>> Right, and:
>>
>> for email signing):
>> - must have the Digital Signature or Non-Repudiation OID?s as a Key Usage.
>>
>> (for email encryption):
>> -  must have the Key Agreement or Data Encipherment OID?s as a Key Usage.
>>
>> So why add the dns complexity for _sign and _encrypt.
>
> Additionally, using the DNS prefix leaks the intent of the user. The DNS
> servers should not know whether or not a user is going to sign or
> encrypt.

I think that’s a red hearing.  Either the user is worried about this, and we
have the whole learning intent through DNS lookups (in which case I refer to an
email I sent earlier today, which proposes to use URIs in SMIMEA certs at the
apex of a zone), or not.  In any event, I really can’t understand where there
is clear gain to an adversary in knowing encr/sign over just the transmission
of email, when the real protection in the crypto being used _after_ keys are
learned?   By contrast, we get a lot of management and configurability gains by
giving users these hooks.

Eric