Hello,

On 16 févr. 06, at 13:37, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
Would there have been a better forum for me to send this message? Thanks!

How about darcs-users for a wider audience? Maybe stuff like this is worth noting on the wiki, with a general page of proposals on types of patches? The way I figure, if something generates a lot of discussion, it gets to be hard to follow. Having it all in condensed into a single document helps.

A more immediate proposal, but definitely more radical, would be to start coding up the theory of patch framework in Coq, which supports Haskell code extraction.

Wow, that'd be really neat. I have a friend who says the exact same thing, plus something to the effect of darcs needing more computer scientists to be proving more patch-theory properties. Is this something actionable for you?

Anyway, I would be curious to hear what people think about this idea, because this is something I'd really like to see in version control system.

There's a good handful of people wishing for the ability to recode files (character encodings, line endings, trailing whitespace) in a 'meaningful' way, much like you'd do darcs replace instead of dumbly moving hunks around. Do you think this thread is relevant?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.darcs.user/9418

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.