On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, David Roundy wrote:

The one person who has darcs warn him about changes which are members
of more than one patch will notice and push a fix (in the relatively
rare case that it is necesary) to everyone else, just like any other
bug in the code.

Ah, yes, ok.

The only problem I can see is where it's often ok to have identical patches be merged, but there are a few cases where they shouldn't be. How does the user hide the warnings about the ok cases so that the problematic cases get noticed?

Your new approach to resolutions probably makes it very easy to add a
resolution type that means "accept both these identical patches", which
would solve this problem, though I haven't worked this out for sure.

That's precisely the problem I'm talking about.  If two people use
this resolution that indicates "accept both these identical patches",
then there's a conflict between their two identical resolutions saying
to resolve those previous identical patches.

True. I think most people these days use darcs in a relatively hierarchical model, but this kind of escalating conflict problem may be one of the barriers to greater adoption of distributed working.

Another possibility would be to make it a property of the primitive patch
whether it could be silently merged with an identical primitive patch.
This is probably less elegant and more burdensome on the UI, though.
(Probably the default behaviour should be controlled a pullable repo
property like setpref boringfile).

Definitely not.  Way too cumbersome, for no benefit that I can
discern.

Well, there is a benefit, it means that people like me can configure their repositories so that identical patches always conflict and not have to watch out for a special warning. I'd have thought that if you are tagging patches with other stuff anyway this wouldn't be particularly cumbersome. But I think a warning with decent UI would be good enough.

Cheers,

Ganesh