New submission from David Roundy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

----- Forwarded message from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

I have been playing around with Darcs for a few months now, but my
experimentation has been hampered by a bug which manifests as "Couldn't
read patch":

 vnix$ darcs get -v mydarcs:darcs/demo
Getting the inventory...
Copying patches...
Patches copied
Repo lazily read
Repo local: "False"

Fail: Couldn't read patch Sun Nov 26 11:17:01 EET 2006  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  * Initial check-in

I finally managed to track this down to different ssh versions. On the
hosts where darcs doesn't work, local administration has installed a
commercial SSH version, which doesn't support "sftp -b":

 vnix$ /usr/bin/sftp -b /tmp/darcsQ5nyCR  mydarcs:
-b requires an argument greater than zero.

 vnix$ echo $?
0

I played around with wrappers and strace and found out that the above
command line is precisely the one darcs tries to run (modulo the path to
the file with sftp commands).

At a minimim, it would be useful if the error message could be a little
more revealing. Certainly it would also be useful if Darcs could check
if the command does anything useful (like it seems to do earlier; it
runs "ssh -O an_invalid_command", apparently to see what happens) and
bail out with an error message if not.

For what it's worth, this particular sftp client (the product suite is
called "Reflection for Secure IT"; I believe it is largely compatible
with the commercial SSH2 product from SSH.com) seems to work just fine
if you use "sftp -B file" instead of "sftp -b file". Actually, you also
have to remove the colon from after the host name.

While playing around with this, I discovered that a non-zero exit code
from sftp would make darcs fail with "darcs failed:  (sftp) failed to
fetch files." so the fault really lies with the sftp implementation
which doesn't fail properly. Still, having a workaround for this would
improve the usability and credibility of Darcs.

Attached please find a script which I called sftp_darcs which I set my
DARCS_SFTP to as a workaround.

Thanks for considering this

/* era */

messages: 1309