Hi Ferenc,

I guess your main question is about whether darcs will support
management of permissions and symlinks?

I've written on many occasions, pointing out that I don't think that
management of permissions would be a good idea, with the sole
exception of the execute bit.  The reason is that in general, each
copy of a repository has different requirements for their permissions.
 Some copies may require that all files be members of a particular
group, and be group-writable, for instance.  So if some bizarre
permissions-management scheme were added, it'd have to be disabled by
default.  I understand that some people use darcs for strange things,
but I refuse to make darcs *worse* for its primary purpose of managing
source code, just so it is better for doing strange things like
managing /etc files.  Now darcs should *preserve* permissions, and
it'd be a good idea for it (when possible) to preserve ownership.

Symlinks would be reasonable, but noone has bothered to implement
them.  But adding symlink support is really orthogonal to darcs-2.
This support could have been added any time in the last four years
without great difficulty, and can be added any time after the darcs-2
release with even less difficulty.  If noone is interested in adding
this feature, I can only conclude that not all that many people are
interested in having this feature.

David