On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:57:52PM +0000, Michael Abbott wrote:
> >Michael, could this download be passing through a proxy that might
> >modify the files?
> >
> >Could you diff the contents of your _darcs/patches directory agains that
> >of the attached yi.tar.bz2?
>
> Absolute, and this was definitely the trigger.  It took me a while to
> figure it out (there are some 1,500 patches in Yi) but, yes, for whatever
> reason our web poxy decided to transform one patch into something
> completely different.
>
> So perhaps this transforms the issue from an outright bug into an
> unfriendly behaviour.  I see two points:
>
> 1. The error message implies that the problem is entirely the fault of
> darcs (and so of course gives little hint about identifying the true
> culprit).

I'd say this is the bug (and will retitle it accordingly).  We should state
what's actually happening here.

> 2. Evidently darcs fails to do any checking on the patches before
> processing them.  A CRC checksum might be a good thing.

This is handled in the upcoming --darcs-2 and --hashed formats.

> Actually, the fact that darcs fetchs each of 1500 patches as separate http
> requests is itself rather painful: takes much longer than it would if this
> could be done as a single http or https request -- and using https would
> bypass any brain damaged proxy to further benefit!

This is another issue.  You could certainly use https if you like (and if
your libcurl supports it), just change your URL.  We're working on request
pipelining for darcs 2.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics

title: Impossible case in darcs PatchRead.lhs or Patch/Read.lhs -> buggy error
message: Impossible case in darcs PatchRead.lhs or Patch/Read.lhs