I guess now that we have something which sort of works, I should point out that
work has started on this.

We are developing a Haskell benchmarking library called Maybench.  The project
also includes a darcs-specific wrapper (darcs-benchmark), which we are primarily
focusing on.

See http://code.google.com/p/maybench

Or darcs get http://code.haskell.org/maybench

This is what the output of maybench is on the yi repository; this is basically
what ertai mentioned he was working on, with a little bit of fiddling by me and
David.

------------------8<----------------------------------
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs get --quiet /foo/yi/ main
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs changes --quiet --repodir main
unrecord last 1
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs unrecord --quiet --last 1 --all --repodir main
0.110191s
record
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs record --quiet --all -m "test patch" --repodir
main
0.062309s
obliterate last 1
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs obliterate --quiet --last 1 --all --repodir main
1.185752s
pull 1
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs pull --quiet --all --repodir main
1.117513s
obliterate last 50
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs obliterate --quiet --last 50 --all --repodir
main
1.53781s
pull 50
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs pull --quiet --all --repodir main
1.582683s
obliterate last 500
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs obliterate --quiet --last 500 --all --repodir
main
14.193587s
pull 500
Running... /usr/local/bin/darcs pull --quiet --all --repodir main
9.192307s
--------------------8<-------------------

As you can see, it marks benches.  There is some extra work to do, like making
the output nice and pretty, or generating comparisons with other versions of
darcs.  Perhaps even doing automated performance regression testing (raise an
alarm if darcs ever becomes 3X slower, or something like that).

Help definitely wanted, even if it's "just" to write benchmarks.

All are invited to join in!  If you've started working on something like this,
you should especially consider submitting some code.  Unfortunately, the mailing
list settings are a bit strict,; your message will be rejected if you do not
first subscribe.  We're working on loosening that up a bit.  Also, we're
experimenting with a liberal right-to-push model, so just ask if you want to be
able to push patches in directly.