> The problem with this change is that we use the current directory for
> security reasons, since it's very hard to safely use the /tmp directory
> when communicating with external programs.

Ah-hah, so that's what my vague memory of potential breakage (and
general nervousness about /tmp) was about.  Thanks for clearing that
up.

If anyone's interested, this was meant to address the problem of
calling a pager in a directory you don't have write permissions for.
For example, if you do do darcs --help in /usr/bin (not as root), you
will get an error like this:

 darcs: openFd: permission denied (Permission denied)
trying to create the temp file.

Perhaps for functions like viewDoc, we need something like a
withUnsafeTemp (where unsafe is taken to mean from a security
standpoint). [we may need to also create an unsafe variant of
pipeDoc?]

There's other issues that I don't understand with viewDoc and
view_file.  On Windows, if it does not find less.exe, it just fails,
even though there is code to fall back on more and (for viewDoc),
printing to stdout.  I'm not I understand why it doesn't go ahead and
try more under Windows.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9