Hi Anthony,
To the best of my knowledge inodes are guaranteed persistent through
renames/directory moves and edits of the file. Maybe there is some
oscure filesystem that make changes but i don't know even one case
because there is not point in doing it that i'm aware of.
I don't know if any other vcs use it but i guess not because i didn't
see a feature like this anywhere else.
I didn't read all the paper but i guess you means the labels used to
uniquely identify files? It is mentioned in the subsection 4.1 Rename
Files. You could say is a unique identifier but one assigned by the
filesystem and not the repo, so it is useful for the almost the same
things mentioned in the paper.
Putting it shortly inode are not persistent between filesystems so it
is not useful to use them between repos even between repos in the same
filesystem, and therefore they are not useful to identify repos. For
any other filesystem or machine the inode number means nothing, they
are almost like any other number you can choose at random.