Ben Franksen writes:

 > We are in violent agreement here.

I thought that was probably the case, but I've seen too many projects
mess up their users by simply assuming that the world is Unicode now.

 > > I'm not saying it's not worth doing, but be prepared for quite a bit
 > > more work than "just dropping 8-bit support."
 >
 > You are most certainly right that fixing the encoding stuff in Darcs
 > properly will be a lot of work.

Probably true.  However, remember that mostly the content can and
should be treated as "well-behaved binary"[1] (with the possible
future exception of a vaporware[TM] patch type that knows that
Makefiles contain file names and the like).  Even file names can be
treated as binary to a great extent (and should be so treated in POSIX
OSes).

So the main issues have to do with VCS metadata.  But (except for file
names) you can choose your format, and insist on UTF-8 for textual
fields.  So it's painstaking, but not actually difficult (compared to
implementing an editor or a language translator, where *all* I/O needs
to be examined for binary/text and if text, encoding).

Footnotes:
[1]  Except for newline convention, which is always a headache if you
want repos to be portable to Windows.