Dear darcs'ers,

this year's Summer of Code program starts son: by end of March,
student applications should be submitted to Google. We are probably
going to work again with students that have not contributed to darcs
before.

Since two students in my university are interested about it, I'd like
to hear your comments about the following two project ideas I thought
of.

1. HTTP system overhaul, a.k.a. "switch to wreq and see what happens".
This would involve having wreq (http://www.serpentine.com/wreq/) as
default download system, while leaving the current libcurl and HTTP
code for benchmarking purposes.

The benefits would be:

* no longer requiring separate compilation/installation of libcurl
* https support under windows (somehow we can't have libcurl under windows?)
* access to repositories behind http authentication (and probably
other benefits of wreq)

Deliverables (apart from the code itself):

* HTTP benchmarks (wreq vs libcurl vs HTTP)
* testing that pipelining actually works
* testing under windows / linux

2. Work towards Darcsden as a local UI and other improvements

* plain files backend (vs current CouchDB)
* other stuff to help Darcsden be a local UI (without actually
involving any UI work)? any idea?
* unauthenticated patch submission via darcs send and http

Apart from opinions about these project ideas, if someone thinks there
are more worthwile projects to do, please tell.

Guillaume