Hi Henning,

> Older darcs versions (e.g. darcs-2.5) had the 'trackdown' function.
>   http://darcs.net/manual/Darcs_commands.html#SECTION006112000000000000000
>
> It seems to be removed in darcs-2.10. I wonder how it can work if many
> interim states do not compile.

It is present in 2.10 under the command "darcs test". Its default
behaviour is the same as the old "darcs trackdown" but it also has
"darcs test --bisect" and "darcs test --backoff". See
http://darcs.net/Using/Test

(And sorry about the manual being outdated, we'll try to fix this soon.)

> What ideas or proposals do you have for reconstructing historic repository
> states and make 'trackdown' actually work? Maybe it would help to somehow
> mark patch sets that once in time succeeded to run a 'darcs test'. I should
> also be able to mark patch sets manually in case I cannot run a test
> temporarily (changes in versions of dependent libraries and compilers).

One way of improving the situation would be to improve the command
"darcs test" itself so that it navigate better in the space of
previous versions. I know that Ganesh has a work-in-progress patch to
enhance Darcs in this way (for instance, Ganesh's work would make
"darcs test" aware of unbuildable states, instead of treating them as
"failing").

Another way I can think of is to maintain some external repo-state ->
test-result mapping and maintain that information at the level of a
project. Recently we had a "weak repository hash" feature added to
Darcs and it will be part of the next 2.10.3 release (it's the hash
that appears at the last line of "darcs show repo" at
http://lpaste.net/8869552059779645440 ).

Guillaume