On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 08:32, Ben Franksen <ben.frank...@online.de> wrote:
> > Definition: A /patch sequence address/ is a tuple
> > (a, b, (Qi), (nj), X, Y), where a and b are (primitive) contexts, (Qi)
> > is a sequence of (primitive) patches going from a to b, nj is a sequence
> > of unique names of patches in (Qi), and X and Y are a partition of the
> > remaining names in (Qi). [...]
>
> > Definition: Two minimal patch sequence addresses are /equivalent/ if all
> > their properties are the same except possibly the patch sequences (Qi),
> > and those two patch sequences are permutations of each other that can be
> > achieved in the primitive patch theory.
>
> Does that mean (a, b, (Pi), (nj), X, Y) and (a, b, (Qi), (mj), X, Y) are
> not equivalent if (nj) and (mj) consist of the same set of names but in
> a different order? If so, it may be worthwhile to say that explicitly.

Right, the order has to be the same. Updated:
https://hub.darcs.net/falsifian/misc-pub/patch/e4da914113bae54b38eab83be71ad9e38cddaf09

It would also be reasonable to let (nj) be a set instead of a
sequence, so order doesn't matter, and call it a patch *set* address.
I think the merge-permute-separate procedure in Chapter 5 could be
revised to use a patch set address in place of a patch sequence
address. I guess the desired new order of the patches would become a
parameter of Step 3 (separation), and Step 2 would disappear.

James