quick update on this:

i have a 30-bit setup now (display port, dell U2713H, nvidia quadro
5800, elderly model but apparently the first one to actually serve
30-bit through to the monitor).

x11 seems to work just fine, i can push 10-bit colour to the monitor
and get smooth gradients, yay.

gtk + cairo seems to work, kind of. cairo gradients seem to be drawn
in 8-bit, and manually drawing a bunch of rectangles gives me spot on
super smooth colour, but is terribly slow (like 30sec for one drawn
buffer instead of 0ms for 24-bit).

we may need to look into cairo sources or direct xorg buffer blitting
(non portable).

btw a surprising lot of my `desktop software' still works just like it
did before. okay, that's mostly the terminal, but also firefox,
thunderbird, gimp kind of (icons look broken, otherwise fine).

cheers,
 jo