Yes, we understand that version bumps are troublemakers at times...

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Josep V. Moragues <jose...@arrakis.es> wrote:

> El 27/07/16 a les 13:02, Roman Lebedev ha escrit:
>
>> Yes, darktable git master now requires gtk3 3.14+ to build.
>> The 3.14 was chosen because even debian stable has that version.
>>
>> That is not a bug.
>> This was intentional.
>> Therefore this will not be fixed.
>
> I understand the reasons to match Darktable's build requirements with
> current stable distributions (Debian stable, Ubuntu 16.04) and I am not
> trying to convince the developers to change that.
>
> But currently there is a reason that makes me stick with Ubuntu 14.04
> for photo work: the AMD Catalyst binary driver. This driver is disabled
> in 16.04. And the AMDGPU Pro that will replace it (only for GCN based
> AMD cards) is not still available.
I'm also in this situation (no more fglrx and no amdgpu yet, Radeon 7970HD)

> I need the AMD closed source graphics driver because, as far as I know,
> the open source radeon driver does not allow using the 12 bit LUT
> present on AMD cards. And this is needed to acurately profile a monitor
> (using ArgyllCMS or DispcalGUI), without banding artifacts.
Hm, where did you read that?
Also, if it really is the case, is this issue already reported against
open source radeon driver?

(and, does argyll actually produce > 8bit vcgt? because if it does not,
the issue is bogus)

TBN i don't really believe there is any banding even with 8-bit bit depth..

> No AMD propietary driver for Ubuntu 16.04 means also no OpenCL
> acceleration for Darktable ... but my main concern is the LUT color depth.
>
> I expect this situation will get solved by the time Darktable 2.2 will
> be released. My current card is a Radeon R7 250, that is a low-end card,
> but I like it because is a fanless design, it matches well my silent
> self built computer. It is GCN 1.0, and AMD has announced AMDGPU support
> for it, but only with the 4.8 Linux kernel, i.e. Ubuntu 16.10. We will
> see. If this do not allow me to use 12 bit LUT, i will have to stick
> with Ubuntu 14.04 and Darktable 2.0.x. Or to buy a new card.
>
> Josep V. Moragues
Roman.