On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Ingo Liebhardt <ingo.liebha...@ziggo.nl>
wrote:

> Ah, and by the way @J Liles: could you please explain me a bit more what
> you mean by ‚textile like artifact‘, I’d like to investigate that one a bit
> more in-depth.
> Thx
>

> Am 21.12.2016 um 20:10 schrieb Ingo Liebhardt <ingo.liebha...@ziggo.nl>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks a lot for the feedback, and no worries if it takes you a while
> testing it.
> As you see, I’m also progressing rather slowly on my side…
>
> It’s still a proof-of-concept and I have quite some items on my to do
> list, most notably:
> - the literature mentions training the filters based on reference images,
> and I’m slowly working on this, hoping that it would further increase image
> quality. So far, the filters are designed using the window design method.
> - trying to find out where the hue shifts come from - I already noticed
> them, too.
>
> Other things like performance improvements will be for later…
>
> I’ll let you know as soon as I make progress on the filters.
>
> Cheers,
> Ingo
>

> Am 21.12.2016 um 01:14 schrieb J. Liles <malnour...@gmail.com>:
>

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 7:40 PM, J. Liles <malnour...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Ingo Liebhardt <ingo.liebha...@ziggo.nl
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Maybe you still remember that I tried an alternative approach to X-Trans
>>> demosaicking (using guided filtering) in March / April this year…
>>> In the end, I was not satisfied, and I gave up on that approach. The
>>> problems were comparable to the Markesteijn algorithm, and the improvements
>>> marginal.
>>>
>>> After giving up on that approach, I was again browsing conference papers
>>> trying to get some inspiration.
>>> I came across the work of E. Dubois, which looked promising.
>>> It is promising, not so much when applied alone, but very much so when
>>> combined with a gradient based approach like Markesteijn.
>>>
>>> I like Jo’s xtrans fringes profile a lot, but the colors get somewhat
>>> muted, overall.
>>>
>>> Contrary to my first approach, this one finally seems to give reasonable
>>> results.
>>> I managed to get good output for the redline bug #10333.
>>> You can have a look here: dropbox link
>>> <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/un1y11uimbqxjjk/AAD3L-Rs9-ztwyBIm4rnCzK-a?dl=0>
>>>
>>> This is the output just with demosaic + base curve, nothing else.
>>>
>>> If you want to try some nasty X-Trans images yourself, I made a little
>>> proof-of-concept.
>>> This in form of a fork of darktable, which you can find here:
>>> https://github.com/ILiebhardt/darktable.git
>>> For trying, just compile, deactivate openCL (only C code thus far), and
>>> choose ‚1 pass Markesteijn‘ as demosaicking method (doesn’t work for
>>> 3-pass, and wouldn’t really yield advantages, either).

> [...]
In TEST IMAGE 1, look at the blue TV screen behind the subject's head. You
can see a textile/grid type effect that wasn't really there. This effect
doesn't appear with VNG or Markesteijn. It looks like the your weightings
might be off causing the X-Trans pattern to show through when interpolating
solid colors.