It is working now. Here is what I did:

I just upgraded to exvi2 0.25 from debian testing and elimitated all packages
associated with version 0.24:

39# dpkg -l | grep exiv
ii  exiv2                                                       0.25-3
                      amd64        EXIF/IPTC/XMP metadata manipulation tool
ii  libexiv2-14:amd64                                           0.25-3
                      amd64        EXIF/IPTC/XMP metadata manipulation library
ii  libexiv2-dev                                                0.25-3
                      amd64        EXIF/IPTC/XMP metadata manipulation library
- development files

But that alone is not sufficient because it gives compilation errors with DT:

libdarktable.so: undefined reference to
`Exiv2::XmpProperties::registerNs(std::string const&, std::string const&)'
libdarktable.so: undefined reference to `Exiv2::XmpParser::encode(std::string&,
Exiv2::XmpData const&, unsigned short, unsigned int)'

Reason is that exvi2 from testing was compiled with the newer gcc in testing.
So I had to upgrade that as well: sudo apt-get install -t testing gcc g++

That was it. I hope there are no other dependencies to old libexiv2 0.24 which
I destroyed with this activitiy.

Matthias