I understand your point and all I can offer for now are intuitions to be
confirmed by experiments. But… :

 1. the lens distorsion profiles provided by lensfun are user-produced
    and my bet is they are not 100 % accurate, which could do more harm
    than good,
 2. to some extend, the deconvolution takes care of lens distortion too

*Aurélien PIERRE*
aurelienpierre.com <http://aurelienpierre.com>