Hello Alexander,

first you have to run cmake successfully in the build directory.

first to this:
   cd /path/to/the/darktable/sources/
   mkdir build/
   cd build/
   cmake ..

To create a PDF file run in build directory:
   make darktable-usermanual

or for e.g. a translation
  make darktable-usermanual-de

The output you will find in build/doc/usermanual/.

PS: If you are interested in a German translation or do you like to help
with prof reading, then have a look here:
https://github.com/mepi0011/darktable

Pierre