Le 26/10/2018 à 00:49, Jason Polak a écrit :
> Dear Aurelien,
>
> It's clear that you put a lot of thought into this and I am eager to try
> it. It is very helpful to see the GUI screenshots, and based on those I
> do have a few comments/questions:
>
> 1) Don't you think that the equalizer/local contrast module are more
> similar to the sharpening module rather than the tone curve/fill light
> module? Especially with the equalizer, part of it performs a very
> similar effect to sharpening. I understand though that the algorithms
> behind them might be different.

There is still a certain amount of arbitrary choices in this order, I
won't deny it. Local contrast, at a very local scale, is similar to a
sharpening, but it's a perceptual sharpening (you fool the eye), not an
optical sharpening (you don't restore blurry edges). Even with a tone
curve, if carefully adjusted, you can increase the feeling of sharpness,
as a side-effect. But local contrast stays contrast, and as equalizer
and local contrast can affect the global contrast dramatically (the same
way as shadows-highlights), I put them with tones. Sharpen is a sort of
high-pass filter so its effect will always be more selective.

Besides, local contrast and equalizer are best used before high-pass and
sharpen (retouch from more global to more specific).

> 2) In your description of the correction tab, you say that after leaving
> this tab, the image should look clean and dull. That makes sense -
> though I am wondering how this works considering the automatic
> application of the base curve? If the base curve is applied upon image
> opening, the tones of the image look already pretty manipulated compared
> to the dull-looking image without the base curve. In other words, it
> seems as though having the base curve applied can already push the tones
> in the image pretty far, leaving little room for colour balance
> adjustments later on in the tone-modules tab.

I believe the basecurve is a mistake and should be deprecated. First and
foremost, it's applied before the input color profile, so you have to
disable it if you work with an enhanced/custom matrix, otherwise your
profile is useless (never add contrast before the input color profile,
do a gamma or log correction but don't darken blacks while you light
mid-tones). The basecurve was intended, at first, to emulate in-camera
JPEG color-rendition with filmic curves
<http://filmicworlds.com/blog/filmic-tonemapping-with-piecewise-power-curves/>.
Turns out the quality of the users-provided curves is not equal from
brand to brand, it creates out-of-gamut colors and over-saturation (on
Nikon, the reds get boosted like crazy - people all look like
alcoholics) and the devs have stopped adding new curves a few years ago.
The new module for that purpose is the colorchecker/LUT, which can
"easily" be used by anyone to create custom LUTs from color charts and
in-camera JPGs and occurs later in the pixelpipe, where it is safe.

The base curve can still be used to (carefully) tonemap HDRs from a
single exposure. But do yourself a favor, buy a colorchart
<http://www.colorreference.de/targets/index.html> (30 €), make your own
camera profile
<https://encrypted.pcode.nl/blog/2010/06/28/darktable-camera-color-profiling/>,
and never ever use the default base curves.

> I am just wondering how having a default base curve fits in with your
> editing paradigm?
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason

Thanks for your input,