Hi Bruce,

you can consider the strength of the module's effect to be controlled by two gradients or ramps. One for the highlights and one for the shadows. The shadows gradient has its maximum value at L=0 and linearly goes down in the direction of the highlights. For the highlights gradient it's vice versa.

The compression slider controls the steepness of the two gradients.

With the default setting 50% both gradients reach a value of zero (= no effect) at L=50 - which means that only an ideal midtone is not affected by neither shadows nor highlights.

At a compression value of 100% the gradients are practically vertical - only pure black and pure white are affected - a corner case which has virtually no effect on the image.

At a compression value of 0% both gradients extend to the respective opposite side. The shadows adjustment strongly affect shadows, moderately affects midtones and minimally affects highlights. Vice versa for the highlights adjustment.

Best wishes

Ulrich