Hi,

exposure comes before filmic in the pipe. That means everytime you
change the exposure, you wrong filmic settings (black, grey and white
levels). You should always follow this order:

 1. disable base curves,
 2. adjust the white balance,
 3. fix the exposure (avoid clipping in blacks and in whites, use the
    color-picker),
 4. set filmic,
 5. perform additional color corrections (the enhanced color balance is
    designed to be filmic's complement),
 6. everything else comes after (but, at high ISO, maybe denoise before
    anything else if you want to use filmic's black detection).

Inside filmic, you should set the sliders in the order they are
presented in the UI and use the color-pickers to avoid guesses (if you
set the exposure right on the verge of clipping, the white exposure in
filmic shall always be 2.45 EV). That way, you avoid circular editings
and accomplish 80 % of the job in 4 modules (2 if your camera did her
job properly). Once you have it figured out, even the tricky
backlighting cases take no more than 45 s to edit, provided your
subjects/details are roughly in the center of the histogram (recovering
dark subjects *and* bright backgrounds as well might require additional
masking jobs).

Of course, if you fly around modules in whatever order, I guarantee
nothing. I'm a lazy fool who once took wedding jobs, rest assured I did
not design tools to just work, I designed them to be efficient and based
on years of editing pain/experience. That's why I wanted to have the
modules re-ordered in the UI, as much as possible, in the same order
they are applied in the pipe, a few months ago.

The history behaviour you observe will happen with any combination of
modules : as soon as you switch from one module to another, a new
history entry is created. The fact that you needed this sort of back and
forth editing means your workflow was wrong in the first place and
should generally alert you. You can read my article to understand how to
use filmic :
https://eng.aurelienpierre.com/2018/11/30/filmic-darktable-and-the-quest-of-the-hdr-tone-mapping/

I have got feedback from several users now, who tried to squeeze filmic
into their old flawed workflow : it will never work. Don't enable filmic
if you are using base curves, global tone-mapping, or using the exposure
module to get the mid-tones right (meaning letting the highlights clip).
Bad software design and forgiving low-dynamic range pictures have given
users an acquired taste for self-harming practices. Time to re-evaluate
and work in a clever way to work less.

Regards,

Aurélien.