On a side note, I would suggest to reach out developers from other
projects. While developing filmic, I worked with Troy Sobotka (Blender),
now Andrea Ferrero (Photoflow) is working with us on implementing the
same feature for his soft, so we share results and algos. Ingo Weyrich
(Rawtherapee) has helped me a few times on low-level SIMD stuff and
offered his help a few times more. There are bunches of nice guys around
there who will be happy to help when you need technical guidance. You
need darktable's developers to guide you on how to wire the I/O inside
dt's guts, but what's going on in-between is pretty much the same for
each soft. Since everything is GNU/GPL nobody cares about competition so
we can share experience with no after-thoughts.