I also think that the six buttons in the bottom panel should be moved
somewhere else.

Patrick Shanahan (2019-Apr-26, excerpt):
> instead of saying something would be better in a different manner,
> suggest the better manner so your suggestions can be followed.

Yeah, I'll do that: Stop nitpicking, Patrick.  The user suggested that
the UI could be designed better, and rightly so.  And he made
constructive suggestions, so let's discuss them, constructively.

First of all, Aurélien Pierre has done quite some work on the UI, see
[1] to make sure we're all talking about the same version.  AFAICT
Patrick's comments apply to 2.7, but not to 2.6 which is the current
stable version.  Some time ago, the devs have announced that master
might be unstable, and I do not know whether it is a good idea to use
this right now.  (Hello devs: is it?)  So a user of 2.6 would not even
know about this.

> > > * Julian Rickards <julian.ricka...@gmail.com> [04-26-19 08:54]:

I agree, it would fit semantically.  On the other hand, with the new
UI there's no space to the sides of the histogram.  Below the
histogram already are the buttons to filter modules, so it might
become a bit crowded there.

I personally would like to see the exposure-warning and softproof
related stuff in a separate module, maybe on the left, next to the
mask manager.  Given the available space in a collapsible module, it
would also be possible to have the menus visible, which now only
appear during a right-click on them buttons.

I think William Ferguson has described a use case above.  But I could
imagine putting the styles stuff in a module on the left as well.  If
I got the idea of styles correctly, then it makes sense to access them
in both, lighttable and darkroom.  From that perspective, it might be
beneficial to have them in roughly the same location (left panel) in
both modes.  But I rarely use styles, so maybe someone with more
experience on that could comment on whether that makes sense.

Also, since all these buttons are somewhat orthogonal in their
functionality to the modules on the right in darkroom, I think putting
them on the left would make sense to me.

You mean darkroom, I guess from the mention of the preview?  I only
use softproof in darkroom, because I want to adjust image parameters
right away.

While we're at it: In darkroom, I do not see any use for the stuff in
the top panel, except for global options and help (which should be
used only occasionally, I guess).  Maybe they should move, too?

Cheers,
Stefan

[1] https://discuss.pixls.us/t/new-interface-in-darktable-2-7-dev/12106

--
http://stefan-klinger.de                                        o/X
I prefer receiving plain text messages, not exceeding 32kB.     /\/