Björn,

> So, does this mean that producing high-quality prints on Linux is entirely
> impossible?

Nothing is impossible. Solutions:

- make you own profile
- ask a pro to do the profile for you
- use TurboPrint, high quality and properly supported by dt

> In particular, I have two questions regarding the statement:
>
> 1. I am not sure wether I understand the explanation correctly. How
> exactly do the ICC profiles provided by paper manufacturers depend on
> the printer driver? Does the printer driver affect the printer's
> color rendition, so that the printer's color space when used with
> cups differs from the color space when used with the proprietary
> driver on windows?

No, each driver use it's own algorithm to transform a RGB picture to a
print using 6, 8, 12 different color on your printer. The driver is a
software and the transformation done here is different on all OS.
That's why you have today ICC provided for MacOS and Windows.

> 2. Is there any way to get properly color-managed prints with fine-
> art papers on Linux (with DT)? Would I have buy a
> colorimeter/spectrometer and profile it myself?

The easiest solution is TurboPrint. I'm using it and I have implemented
the support in dt for a good reason :)

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B