Hi,
this is very interesting!
Sometimes I find dt panels a little restricting (i.e. the fixed dimensions
do not fit good for all the modules).
Maybe the request of having panels with different dimensions could help.
But is is possible to have each module expanded while clicking on its title?
I mean expanded in a window exceeding the dimension of the side panel where
you can see ALL controls.

To come back quickly to the original question I will prefere standard
behaviour instead of popup too.

Thanks,
Maurizio