Did look at that.

The colour picker in levels and tone curve are GTK buttons. As such,
they get hovering effects and stuff from CSS. The colour pickers next to
sliders are bauhaus widgets, and their CSS support is very basic at this
point (size and colour only). This is indeed a Cairo + GTK business to
wire their state to user input, then their state to CSS rules.