Agreed!
Thank you to all the devs who devote their time and energy to this project.
It is greatly appreciated.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022, 07:06
Subject: [darktable-dev] release 4.2 is coming...
To: darktable-user <darktable-u...@lists.darktable.org>, darktable-dev <
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org>

Hello!

I'd like to take some time, while we are all waiting for the 4.2
release, to send you a little message about darktable.

This release cycle has seen lot of improvements as previous releases.
We had also some divergences with one developer and the signal sent was
certainly not good or worrisome for some of you.

Fact is that the team behind darktable is strong and working very hard
in many aspects of the project.

Some people gain more visibility because they work on GUI part that are
directly visible by end-users. But there is also some people working on
part of the code that you do not see directly but that makes darktable
internal better.

I'd like to thank Hanno Schwalm and Ralf Brown for their work on
performances, tweaking OpenCL code path and OpenMP to use every cycles
of your CPU.

I'd like to thank Hanno Schwalm also for working on new highlight
recovery algorithms.

I'd like to thank Diederik ter Rahe for looking into Gtk issues and
proposing a very impressive framework for shortcuts. And to achieve
that, lot of code refactoring has been done. Some Gtk parts are looking
like black magic to me :)

I'd like to thank Roman Lebedev for the hard work in rawspeed. Without
this project darktable won't be there. Also Miloš Komarčević working on
rawspeed and many RAW formats support.

I'd like to thank Victor Forsiuk for working on image input/output
support and fixing a huge number of spelling typos.

I'd like to thank Aldric Renaudin for the continued effort on the
lighttable filters and UI.

I'd like to thank Nicolas Auffray for taking over the UI effort and
doing magic with CSS.

I'd like to thank Bill Fergusson for maintaining the Lua framework.

I'd like to thank rawfiner for checking noise profiles and making sure
they are in good shape for integration.

I'd like to thank Simone Gotti for working on a new lens correction
method based on meta-data.

I'd like to thank all the testers and reviewers (Chris Elston, Martin
Straeten, parafin, Mark-64, and others) making sure we do not introduce
more issues than we are fixing. Also thanks for Chris for reading my
English in the RELEASE_NOTES and correcting it.

I'd like to thank parafin and Bill Fergusson for creating the release
binaries for MacOS and Windows. And Andreas Schneider as maintainer of
the OBS platform for creating the GNU/Linux binaries.

I'd like to thank Sakari Kapanen for helping with color science.

I'd like to thank Jakob Andrén for the long journey at making Sigmoid a
viable alternative to FilmicRGB.

I'd like to thank all the translators bringing to us an interface in
our native language.

I won't name them, but also remember that darktable is Open Source and
we leverage on many other Open Source projects/libraries (to handle
Jpeg, TIFF, AVIF, HEIF, PNG... tether with camera, handle SVG,
colors...). I'm even pretty sure that there is far more code in the
dependencies we are using than in darktable itself.

And finally I'd like to thank all people that I have forgotten in the
list above. I'm sorry if I missed you.

A darktable release is a huge amount of work and the darktable team is
wonderful. I'm really happy to be part of it, let's the aventure
continue.

Have all a nice end of year!

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B