In order for the var to be set so darktable can be launched from GUI
(spotlight etc.), the following may be added to .bash_profile or some such:

export GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR=/opt/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas
launchctl setenv GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR $GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR

Line one being for the var to be set in the terminal. The directory above
being where macports stores glib schemas by default; adjust to suit your
setup.
Line two to set the env var for "GUI".

Perhaps the GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR information might be added to some dt-OSX
readme/documentation of sorts, as it's kind of vital, darktable crashing,
at least for me, without it? So future users trying out the dev version on
OSX wouldn't have to keep hitting their head against the wall.

In its current status, perhaps build configuration failing on gtk >=3.20
wouldn't be a bad idea either? Or at least a mention somewhere (in a OSX
section of a readme/documentation?).

Wouldn't mind adding it myself, instead of just suggesting someone else to
do it, but unsure where the proper place for it would be.

Kind regards,
Kristian