Am 04.06.2016 um 18:16 schrieb Michael Hendry:
..
> I had downloaded a simpler script when first looking at making the transfer,
> and it crashed when there was a hierarchical tag involved. I think it was
> written by Antoine Beaupré.

That was my start-point.
Look at line 6 of my script:

  # Based on an idea of Antoine Beaupre
    http://redmine.darktable.org/issues/9461

I think I made it a bit more comfortable.

> You’re probably right, but I have found that darktable can handle a
hierarchical tag and a simple tag at the same time.

Yes, sure it can handle multiple *different* tags.
Klick on first tag *OR* second tag finds the same picture.

But importing the hierarchy from Shotwell means same tags, not different
tags.

Example:

Shotwell seems to search with "equal".
Tags are:
  "/persons"
+ "/persons/friends"
+ "/persons/friends/John Do"

Klick on "friends" searches: WHERE tags = '/persons/friends'

Darktable seems to search with SQL-"like".
Tag is "persons|friends|John Do".
Klick on "friends" searches: WHERE tags LIKE '/persons/friends%'.
The Wildcard % includes "John Do".

Wrong import:
  "|persons"
+ "|persons|friends"
+ "|persons|friends|John Do"

The SQL-LIKE-Search find more then one Tag pointing to the same set of
pictures. You have to use "SELECT DISTINCT .." to get every picture only
once.

> ... try to find anomalies in the tags.

Ideas:

- Do Ubuntu and Mac have the same coding (UTF-8)?
  In Germany we have some special Characters (ä,ö,ü,ß) that can cause
some trouble. In Scandinavia they have some characters that I cant find
on my keyboard. When transferring the SQL-file (txt) from one system to
another you may use "save as ... UTF-8" in your editor.
Sometimes that is a problem when copying files from Windows (ANSI) to
Linux (UTF-8). Sometimes it is no Problem with characters like
a-z,A-Z,0-9 but often with special/national characters.

- Do you have characters in the tag, that are used in SQL: % ; ' " \
  Darktable may handle this when typing it in the screen.
  But you put it directly into the database.

> .. are you using darktable on a Mac now, or have you simple transferred from
> Shotwell to darktable in a Ubuntu environment?

My System is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (waiting for Upgrade to 16.04 LTS).
Shotwell and Darktable in the same environment.

> Regards,
>
> Michael

Frank