Hello Michael,
I saw this post and at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, I offer the comments below.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:22:59 +1000, Michael <bmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Riley, I would like to see a lesson on using masks and dodge if you could. Here is the situation a realtor hired me to take photos of a house so right after he gave me the job I grabbed my trusty camera and started
experimenting trying to get the inside of a room and the view from the
window as well. In  my experiments I discovered that if I focus on the
window scene and use the fill flash I could get what I wanted. Well, the
next day I forgot what I had figured out and drove out there (80 miles one way) took the photos (they looked fine in the LCD) drove 80 miles back and opened them in my computer to discover they were dark. I forgot to use the flash! (stupid head injury) I asked the guy who got me into darktable how I could lighten them but not lighten the window scene (which would blow them out) and he told me to dodge them but wouldn't tell me how to do that. I did what I could withthe photos and am just hoping the client accepts them. (I don't want to drive back there)

In situations like this, you don't really need fill in flash to get a good result, in fact you can get as good or better result by checking your exposure for the inside of the room and again for the window, then set up a suitable set of bracketed shots, then do an exposure fusion using (say) Hugin. This approach also gives you the opportunity to cover a wide FOV and produce a stitch.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell