My understanding is that all that is needed is the raw file (CR2 for me) and the sidecar (XML). These should keep all the history and tags. I have removed images from collections a number of times and then re import them. I don't really have 2 machines running DT but I don't know how can it be different from remove and re import...If there are preset changes - depending how big they are. You can actually make a style and export it then import it on the second instance. Other approaches may be to copy .config/darktable from one location to another. But this is not really merging - it is more of getting all configurations and copying it to a second machine. The pictures will be missing of course - so DT will display sculls - and these can be just removed from the collection.

Hope this helps.

Regards,