I am confused.

I tried to use the print module (2.0.5). But it does not show the selected
print at all. The main pane remains black. Nor can I select a paper size
(it seems to be an empty menu).

I took a look at the online user manual, and it says I should see the
photo: "The central area displays the image layout on the paper (the white
area). ".

But then I also read:

"It is important to note that ICC profiles provided by the paper and/or
printer manufacturers cannot be used on GNU/Linux as they depend on the
printer drivers. The darktable print module is using CUPS
<http://www.cups.org/> and there is no ready-to-use ICC profiles for this
driver."

This was a shock to me, as I have downloaded and installed a profile
provided by Ilford for the paper/printer combination I am using. It says it
is for Windows/Mac, so I don't see how it can depend upon the printer
driver, as they must be different between the two operating systems.
Anyway, I am using this profile for soft-proofing. It doesn't seem to
differ much from the non-soft-proof view in darkroom (using the monitor
profile - the monitor is calibrated). I use the manufacturer's (HP) ink
cartridges.

When I printed, I exported to 16-bit PNG (is that a good idea, or is 8-bit
Tiff better), specifying the Ilford profile. Then I opened the file in GIMP
and printed from there. The results seemed reasonable (no colour shifts
that I could notice - only overall it is a little darker than appears on
the screen, with or without soft-proofing).

Am I just lucky? Could I do better? (I have a colormunki display, so I
can't profile the printer myself.)