I have found that Darktable's performance depends far less on the overall
number of *images* in the database than on the lexical properties of the
*tags* in the database. I have one database with well over 50,000 images,
with which I notice no performance problems, and another database with
about 3,000 images, with which any operation involving tags is so slow as
to render Darktable nearly unusable.

The difference, so far as I have been able to determine, is that the images
in the smaller database each have a tag to identify the subject, resulting
in an image/tag relation with a different structure to the usual.

--
August Schwerdfeger
aug...@schwerdfeger.name