There are 2 luarc files, one for darktable and one for you.  The darktable
one, on my system (Ubuntu 16.04), is /usr/share/darktable/luarc.  The one
you want to use is the $HOME/.config/darktable/luarc for including any
scripts that you want to use.

The lua scripts are located at https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts.
You can download individual scripts or the whole tree.  Or, you can use git
and clone the repository and then updating is a simple matter of changing
to that directory and doing a git pull.

So, you could do:

mkdir $HOME/src
cd $HOME/src
git clone https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts
ln -s $HOME/src/lua-scripts $HOME/.config/darktable/lua

then edit your luarc file and add require lines such as:

require "contrib/hugin"
require "contrib/gimp"
require "official/selection_to_pdf"

and so on...

Or, if you don't have git installed

mkdir $HOME/src
cd $HOME/src
curl -O -L https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
ln -s $HOME/src/lua-scripts $HOME/.config/darktable/lua

then edit the luarc and do the require as above.

Hope this helps,

Bill