On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Niccolò Belli
<darkba...@linuxsystems.it> wrote:
> On domenica 20 novembre 2016 19:24:06 CET, Tobias Ellinghaus wrote:
>>
>> I assume you filed a bug in our bug tracker, together with the backtrace?
>

> I just switched to Darktable since a couple of days (ex Adobe Lightroom
> user) and I just finished reading the user manual. I just had the time to
> compile it from git to see if it still crashes (it does) and I'm still
> trying to convince darktable to crash when I attach it do gdb. I will
> probably keep using darktable attached to gdb if it works so well,
> apparently.
>
>> That is not feasible as we rewrite the XMP files all the time. Not just
>> when you edit the image in darkroom.
>

> I was thinking about something like "when you start it, darktable detects if
> a crash happened, or it simply checks if the database is consistent with the
> XMP files" --> "if not, it immediately shows which photos are not
> consistent, showing for each one the full history of both db and XMP, along
> with a preview for both of them" --> "it asks for each photo where do you
> want to get the metadata from, either from db or XMP. If you want to keep
> the history from the XMP it updates the db entry, otherwise it overwrites
> the XMP file" --> "restores the normal operating mode". It should be
> definitely feasible.
We already have crawler, which, if enabled, checks that XMP files are
newer than the DB, and
asks what to to, update db or ???.

But, you are missing one very important point:
we save history only when switching between images, or going from
darkroom to some other view.
So if you open image in darkroom, edit it, and never switch image, and
then it crashes,
the edits are not stored _anywhere_, not in XMP, not in DB.
That is a good thing (when you re-open image, dt does not immediately
crash if it was the edits
that made it crash in the first place) and obviously a bad thing
(edits are lost, harder to reproduce
if the edits are the reason dt crashed).

> Bests,
> Niccolò Belli
Roman.