Hallöchen!

Francisco Cribari writes:

> In the video listed below I show that distortion in images
> produced with the Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R WR lens is prety
> sizable. It seems that Lightroom and Darktable deal with such
> distortion quite differently. Any thoughts on that?

Please write down your thoughts because citing a video does not
work.  :-)

You are right, Lightroom applies lens corrections automatically for
µ4/3 and Fujifilm lenses.  In Darktable, you have to switch it on
explicitly.  That is not a big difference in my opinion, though.

A much bigger difference is that at least for µ4/3, you can't even
switch that off in Lightroom I think.  But I don't see any point in
doing that anyway.

µ4/3 and Fujifilm X both store the lens correction parameters in the
lens, which is then embedded into the RAW.  So, no extra profiles
are needed.  Hopefully DT will be able to extract that info as well
and pass it to Lensfun.  But we are far away from that because there
is not even a description how the parameters are stored and which
formulae to apply.

At the same time, lens correction is part of the mount
specification, and lenses are designed to be corrected afterwards.

And yes, this *is* a trend for lens builders: They build lenses to
be digitally corrected.  Seasoned photographers may not like that
but there we go.  My personal opinion is that every lens design is a
tradeoff, and in the digital era, there should be other priorities
(like weight, size, price) than the unnecessity to correct.

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger