Hi,

I think this post is going outside the original question.

The original question was about a grey card and white balance (I I
understood corrrectly).
And what to do if the grey card doesnt appear "neutral" in darktable.

1 - Grey card and white balance.
The fact that the card is 18%, 22% or anything else is unrelevant if we
speak of white balance (the 18% is useful for exposure control... well, I
will no enter the debate about calibration and the various mid-grey,
median-grey or so)
So, yes, we can set the white balance using the "spot" white balance on a
grey card as soon as the grey is neutral.
Neutral means "the same value for red, green, blue".

2 - Card is not neutral
If the grey is not neutral, say a colour cast with one of the channel with
a different value, your white balance will give a colour cast in the
opposite direction.
You can correct that in dt with the module "colour balance" for instance by
selecting the neutral area of interest with the colour picker and trying to
have the same value for all the 3 channels.
But, in my opinion, if your grey card is reasonably neutral, you well not
see (with your eyes) any difference.
A simple sheet of (white) paper can also do the job.

About the reflectivity of the neutral grey : it is an other matter. Such
grey card can be used to adjust the exposure. But as there are strong
controversies about what should be the neutrality of a neutral grey, this
subject is prone to leave to various trolls.

Regards

Jean-Luc