I just sent a full sized (4924 x 3274) file to gimp as a jpg with 90
quality. I assumed that gimp would fix the problem. It is shown as a jpg
on gimp. From gimp I exported it as a jpg to my desktop where it is
shown as 8.2 mb.

This file is from a fusion creation that sits on dt with a size of 132 mb.

David