In data domenica 28 maggio 2017 22:40:33 CEST, David Vincent-Jones ha scritto:
> Exactly the same error message with the link sitting on /home/david
>
> David
>
> On 05/28/2017 10:33 PM, Maurizio wrote:
> > In data domenica 28 maggio 2017 22:22:27 CEST, David Vincent-Jones ha
scritto:
> >> No the source does not appear to be a symlink.
> >>
> >> I can copy the file over to the Desktop and it functions correctly but
> >> since I am getting frequent updates it would be nice to have an auto
> >> update.
> >>
> >> David

> > This sounds strange.
> > Try to create the softlink in a place different than Desktop
> > (for example /home/david)
> > and post the result.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Maurizio

If the destination directory is not the problem, it means the problem is the
source one...
I am quite sure the path to your darktable documentation contains another
symlink.
Check each directory (one by one) and create the symlink on the Desktop
following a path without any other symlink.
I am using OpenSuse and the link to manual is /usr/share/doc/packages/
darktable-doc/darktable-usermanual.pdf
ln -s /usr/share/doc/packages/darktable-doc/darktable-usermanual.pdf /home/<my
user>/Desktop/
works fine!
You could also try to create the symlink using a function/shortcut of your file
manager.

Maurizio