hi robert,

glad to hear it worked in the end :)

the base- vs tonecurve thing is a philosophical question to some
extent. the main difference is the position in the pipeline: a base
curve makes everything non-linear at a quite early point in the
pipeline. this can be desirable, for instance to compress hdr via
exposure fusion and then work on that with the other tools.

for linear workflows, the tonecurve may be the better choice as it
comes later in the pipeline. when working on shadows/highlights/local
contrast with the "local contrast" module for instance i get much
improved rendition with the tonecurve.

the other big difference is that tonecurve is Lab and basecurve is
camera rgb. with the "auto in RGB" colour adjustment option in the
tone curve, you have pretty much an rgb curve here, too. for the
colour lut to be somewhat portable in theory (and mostly for less
saturated colours where the matrix profiles kind of work best..), the
lut module was implemented in device-independent Lab colour space.
that way you could profile the fuji film emulation styles once and
then apply to your canon or nikon cameras. this only holds when you
profile against pfm which have the matrix profile (from the input
colour profile module) baked in, and of course only within the limits
of matrix profiles.

my guess would be that even if you use an it8 chart, the colour-lut
tone curve would be a bit more approximate than the one you get with
the dedicated curve module? just because there is a limited number of
grey patches in the chart.

hope that helps,
 jo