Patrick, I simply installed from the pmjdebruijin ppa. I don't know what that means as far as the db goes?

* Peter Cripps <pe...@petercripps.com> [03-19-18 13:23]:
I've just reinstalled 2.4.1 on Linux Mint 18.3, kernel 4.13.0-37. But when I
open an image, the develop setting stored in the xmp file are not applied. I
have checked the option to "look for changed xmp files on import".

I opened the same image (i.e. the same bits from the same storage) in
Windows. Then the develop setting are applied.

Any idea what is happening? Thanks, Peter.
when you reinstalled dt, did you start with a new db (library)?
   ~/.config/darktable/library.db