First I would install a distro targeted at low end machines. Something that
does not use 90% of the memory just to di fancy animations. Maybe you can
already find a lightweight image viewer there.

Check the memory usage and disable *everything* you do not need (printer,
desktop background, fancy screensaver, applets, etc.). Maybe the system is
swapping badly.

If xnviewmp works fine why not just using it? You may later export only the
best ones to a folder and, at home, import from there into DT. You will
have to classify this again but I do not expect many of these.
Otherwise you may also export from xnviewmp to five different folders
according to the rating, import each one into DT, mass-assign the
corresponding rating to all the images from each folder, and then move all
the files into a new folder and import this into DT.

For DT, you can try "bilinear" demosaic and interpolator in the "core
options" (I think these are the fastest ones, not sure if they are used in
the light table, but maybe you'll do some zoom-in sometimes). There is also
an "high quality thum processing" that you can try to disable. But honestly
I would prefer xnviewmp to a badly configured DT, at least it will show
things as they are supposed to be.

Lorenzo